We have introduced a new OpenEd Student Portal that will allow you to easily register for your courses and access your student profile and records.
You will be able to create a student profile that will allow you to register for you courses, request information, view and print your enrolment and academic records including grades and account information, and all you do access forms to request transcripts and your certificates/diplomas, drop and add courses, and manage your registration.
Register by following these easy steps:
- Find your course.
- Complete your registration using our secure online registration system.
- Select a course from the current list of courses open for registration. Narrow your search results by selecting Equine Studies.
- Click on the Add to Cart button.
- Click on the Checkout button in the pop-up window.
- Review your cart details and proceed by clicking on the Checkout button.
- To complete your registration transaction, you will need to log in or create an account.
Steps to Log in or Create an Account
- New Students – Create an Account
- Click on Continue in the I am a new user section and enter the required information so your login credentials can be emailed to you.
- Once you receive your login credentials, log in to the OpenEd Student Portal by clicking on Continue in the I have an account already.
- Add your contact information, review your details and complete your registration transaction.
- Returning Students – Log in
- Click on Continue in the I have an account already.
- Enter your login credentials.
- Review your details and complete your registration transaction.
Please note that you will never be asked for your password information.
Students register in one course at a time. We do not recommend you register in more than one course per semester.
We do not encourage students to take Advanced Equine Functional Anatomy, Advanced Equine Health through Nutrition and Advanced Equine Behaviour combined with any other courses during a semester. The advanced equine courses require you to conduct research using the University of Guelph library and may take 15 – 20 hours during some weeks of the course.
Registration Fee varies per course. Registration fees begin at $495.00 Cdn. There are no international student fees applied to these courses. We aim to provide accurate pricing information on this website to assist students in choosing course but should there be a discrepancy in pricing from this website to the online registration form, the online registration form will be considered the correct price.
Students are required to purchase their own textbook. You will need a computer and access to the internet. Some courses will require you to purchase items to complete a horse health check (stethoscope, stopwatch, thermometer). These are not supplied as part of the course registration.
Some courses have additional student materials which will be sent to you before the start of the class and are included in the registration fee.
Your online course can require a minimum of 6 to 10 hours per course, per week, on course work and assignments. Our online courses are considered a university-level program, and as such, the course content, expectations and requirements are aligned with such a program.
Each course will vary in its requirements and you should review the detailed course information page for each course to clarify the course expectations and requirements.
To get the most from your course you will need access to your course a minimum of three times a week.
Each online course is 12 weeks in length. They are facilitated by an instructor. Not all courses are offered every semester please refer to the course schedule to assist you in planning your course of studies.
- A minimum of 18 years of age or high school diploma or equivalent.
- Students who are 17 years of age and are currently in grade 12 may register for the Management of the Equine Environment course.
The equine science courses at the University of Guelph are open learning continuing education courses and you do not have to apply and be accepted into any of the certificate or diploma programs to take one of the courses.
If you are interested in only one of the courses we offer, you are welcome to register in a single course. Take one or two courses, or work toward your certificate. The equine certificate and diploma program is designed to be flexible and meet your learning needs.
Have you completed courses at another university or college in Equine Studies?
We will accept equine courses successfully completed at another college or university provided you completed the course successfully and the content aligns with our courses.
You may request a review of your courses by contacting the Manager, Program Development at Open Learning and Educational Support, University of Guelph. You will be required to submit an official transcript and a course outline.
There is a maximum number of courses which can be credited to our certificate and diploma programs.
Do you have questions about registering?
Visit our FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page
Phone us at: 519 767-5000
Email us at: info@OpenEd.uoguelph.ca
Would you like to join our information list?
Receive emails when registration is open, early bird deadlines are approaching and other information from the Equine Studies Online program.