Equine Science Certificate
Are you a horse owner looking to gain the fundamental knowledge required to provide for horses in your care? The Equine Science Certificate introduces you to research and evidence-based practice in a format you can apply immediately to improve the health and performance of your horses. This well-rounded certificate program will cover topics including equine nutrition, equine behaviour, exercise physiology, genetics, anatomy, and breeding and foaling. Join our community of learners from around the world.
You can expect to learn how to:
- Establish a safe and environmentally responsible horse housing facility
- Implement practices in the management and care of horses based on research, evidence, and with the welfare of the horse in mind.
- Learn to discuss problems experienced by your horse with a veterinarian as an informed horse owner.
- Apply the care requirements for the mare, foal and stallion as outlined in the Equine Code of Practice.
- Learn to research, review and located science-based information on equine topics
Review the individual courses for more information on each of our online courses.
The Equine Science Certificate Requirements
To obtain the Equine Science Certificate, the four required or core courses, and two electives must be successfully completed.
Required or Core Courses
- Management of the Equine Environment
- Equine Health & Disease Prevention
- Equine Nutrition
- Equine Functional Anatomy
Elective Courses – choose two of the following
- Management of the Broodmare, Stallion and Foal
- Equine Exercise Physiology
- Equine Behaviour
- Equine Genetics
Each online course is 12 weeks in length and students should expect to spend 6 – 12 hours per week on their studies.
The equine courses are delivered entirely online, and you can participate from anywhere in the world. There is no requirement to be online at a specific time. The courses are facilitated by an instructor, and you will progress through the course content following a weekly schedule. You can expect to have weekly activities, discussions and assignments with due dates. As a university-level course, you will have graded assignments.
This program is intended for adult learners, 18 years of age or older.
The equine science and business courses at the University of Guelph are open learning continuing education courses and you do not have to apply and be accepted into the certificate program to take one of the courses.
Achieving the Certificate
Once you have completed the six courses required for the Equine Science Certificate you will be able to request your certificate from the University of Guelph by completing the ‘Request for Certificate Form.’ Forms can be accessed from your My OpenEd student portal.