Certificate in Equine Business Management
The Certificate in Equine Business Management is for anyone interested in working in the business and management aspects of the equine industry. You will learn the tools necessary to achieve your goal of a successful equine business.
You will benefit from our online business courses if you wish to:
- Start your own business from a comprehensive business plan
- Build and/or set-up your facility and property to maximize the health and welfare of the horses in your care
- Develop a marketing plan which includes traditional, web-based and social media strategies
- Learn to write professional business communication
- Host events to promote your business
- Explore successful equine businesses run by professionals
- Understand the skills needed to be an entrepreneur
The Certificate Requirements
In order to obtain the Certificate in Equine Business Management, the following five core courses and one of the electives must be successfully completed. It is recommended students begin with Management of the Equine Environment.
Required or Core Courses
- Management of the Equine Environment
- Equine Business Management
- The Equine Industry
- Equine Business Finance and Risk Management
- Marketing and Communication in the Equine Industry
Electives – Select one
Students must either be at least 18 years of age, or have completed Grade 12 or equivalent in order to register for the courses.
The equine science and business courses at the University of Guelph are open learning continuing education courses and you do not have to apply and be accepted into the certificate program to take one of the courses.
Achieving the Certificate
To be eligible to receive the Certificate in Equine Business Management students must successfully complete 6 courses.
At minimum of 50% of your courses cannot be counted to more than one certificate or diploma. If you currently hold the Equine Science Certificate, Equine Welfare Certificate or the Diploma in Equine Studies offered at the University of Guelph please contact Open Learning and Educational Support to clarify your certificate requirements. There are restrictions on counting courses in more than one certificate or diploma program and we want to be sure you plan your course of study to accommodate any restrictions.
Receiving your Certificate in Equine Business Management
To receive your official University of Guelph Certificate in Equine Business Management you must complete the “Request for Certificate” form and return to Open Learning and Educational Support. Upon receiving your request your certificate will be prepared and mailed to you. There is no additional charge to receive your certificate.